Friday, December 9, 2011

My first English blog ever

I've had quite a few blogs in the past, in quite a few nicks - one of them, believe it or not, even starred at the top Israeli blogs list for few months, but I'll never confess the filthy name of this one or it's fabricated dark blogger. I even had, 10 years ago, the questionable pleasure of publishing a novel by a highly respectable publishing house, and it was edited by a well-known author, then by the head of literature at TLV university, then by a languish editor, then it was PRed, then actually printed - the whole process took over two years, and wasn't the best of experiences. I think that I like blogging mush better. But I've never wrote anything but business mails and executive summaries (and presentations, loads of those, I've once raised $0.5M for a non technological startup, but more about that later) in english, a fact that might be considered as a blessing by some, considering the nature of some of my hebrew texts, and the rare extent of the lameness of my english - anyhow, it's my first blog in English. Deal with it.

I live in Tel Aviv with a much nicer (and prettier) wife & business partner than I deserve, @arialabeniluz, plus four (amazing, says the father) sons, and now sitting at a 24h coffee shop that supplies electricity (and allegedly also wifi, but it's never works) for laptopers, I like working in such places, drinking Arak, it's a kind of an Anise arab drink, with ice. We moved from Jerusalem almost two years ago, and I adore the city. Tel Aviv, I mean. Always did, worked here also when was living in Jerusalem, well - most of the time. When I've tried to ran a coffee shop of my own, I've never leaved the town. Never, never try to open a coffee shop. I was selling great sandwiches, like really. Great. Best Focaccia bread in town, so help me god. Sourdough and everything. 80 grams of imported salmon, fresh. Flown in from Norway twice a week. Creamcheese by a boutique dairy. Those were damn good sandwiches, I tell you. Not far was a chain coffee shop branch, selling like 50 grams of shitty frozen smoked lax in some stupid industrial bread, for 50% more the price. Now, ok. They'd go first for the known brand. Accepted. But they came, ate our sandwich, then kept going back to the frozen one. We had the nicest garden, under an 80 year old mulberry tree and a water fountain, no less. It was the garden of the richest person in Jerusalem, prior to 48. And they still wanted the ugly expensive sandwich. We went like, agrrrhhh.... Let's leave the food business to our superiors, people who could actually guess what the masses would eat. It's back to high-tech for us.

Yes, that's my original field, high-tech, web and mobile apps, Mac stuff, this kind of things. I meant to write about that, but got carried away with the salmon. People deserve what they eat, what can I tell you. I want to write here about food, too, anyhow. I like eating very much - maybe some Israeli food reviews for the english speakers could help. Getting late, though. In a nutshell: I'm holding a branch of the 40yo family business, Swed's masters workshop, it Tel Aviv. We're selling the most expensive Judaica in the world, like tens of thousands for a piece, by order only. Regardless, bootstrapped a revolutionary checkin tool, Picalogo, to the Apple store, and co-founded at a startup that will sometime make your trip to a theme park much nicer, Qendix. Don't be too exited, none of those is funded, and times are harsh. But more about that later. Meantime, the sea is the sea, even at winter times - if you have a wetsuit. Literally, I mean, not as a metaphor. Got one from amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment